What do gamers do when they get bored? They play games. And when they aren’t? They also play games.
It is something that you can do for hours and not get tired. Especially games like Minecraft, where you can go from building houses to fighting alligators.
So, you click on the game icon to go exploring the world of Minecraft. But wait. Instead of seeing the title screen, you are shown an error message that says Error code 5.
And now you’re desperately searching all over the internet for a solution. I know that feeling brother, cause I faced it too.
If you want to know how to get out of this problem, stay with me till the end.
What is error code 5 in Minecraft?
Error 5 in Minecraft means that the launcher does not have Admin privileges to execute operations. It is a standard error code of Windows that states the user does not have the authorization to access the requested file. Error 5 occurs when the software denies permission for certain actions.
The error 5 on Minecraft can be due to system corruption. That’s why you need to scan your PC for corrupted system files. If you recently downloaded any game or files that contain any suspicious files, delete them. The exit code 5 in Minecraft for the Mac version can also be fixed if the launcher is opened with Administrator privileges.
How to Fix Minecraft Error Code 5
Despite getting regular updates, this error still keeps popping up. But I’ve found a few ways on how you can get out of this.
Here are the steps to fix error code 5 on Minecraft:
1. Run Minecraft Launcher as Administrator
The most basic solution I can give you is to run your Minecraft with Admin rights. The fact that you are getting an error message means Minecraft is trying to execute some operation to which it doesn’t have access.
Giving special privileges to the Minecraft Launcher solved the problem in most cases. Here’s how to do it:
- Right-click on the Minecraft Launcher icon > then choose Properties.
- Under the Compatibility tab, find Compatability Mode > checkmark the option Run this program as an administrator.
- Hit OK, located at the bottom of the window.
- Open Minecraft again and your problem should be solved.
If this didn’t solve your problem, then follow the next method.
2. Copy tmpLauncher File to Minecraft Folder
I have seen multiple forum posts from players claiming to solve this error code issue by relocating the tmpLauncher file. I didn’t believe them until I tried it for myself. And it worked perfectly.
Here are the steps for you to follow:
- Click on the Computer icon on your desktop.
- Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Minecraft\tmp.
- Look out for tmp, click on it once, and press ctrl+c to copy.
- Open the folder C:\ Programs Files (X86)\Minecraft.
- Right-click exe and choose the Delete option. Click the Yes button to confirm.
- Press ctrl+v to paste the previously copied file.
- Right-click the tmp file and click Rename.
- Rename the file as exe and press the Yes button on the dialog box window that opens.
- Relaunch Minecraft.
In this method, many of you will face some difficulties while changing the file extension from .tmp to .exe. Follow these steps if you’re unable to change it:
- Click on the Computer icon on your desktop.
- Select the tab View and click on Options.
- Look for the View tab again and uncheck the option Hide extensions for known file types. Press Apply to save changes and exit.
3. Download a Fresh Copy of the Vanilla Launcher
If the previous methods didn’t work, you could always try downloading a new Launcher for Minecraft.
Often, third-party security software blocks particular processes of applications without users’ knowledge. You can try overcoming this by downloading a fresh copy from the internet. Here’s how you can do it:
- Go to the Minecraft directory.
- Open the text file txt and find a URL that finishes with Minecraft.exe. Select the whole line and press ctrl+c.
- Go to Chrome or Firefox. In the search bar, ctrl+v.
4. Update your JAVA Version
Some games like Minecraft rely on Java to run. So, if you have an outdated version of Java, error codes are bound to show up.
Moreover, a bunch of other applications also run on Java. So, having an updated version is always helpful.
Before updating the JAVA software, you should know whether your PC is running in 32-bit or 64-bit. Right-click on the Computer icon and select Properties. Under the Device Specifications, look for System Type.
Follow these instructions to update the Java:
Open Control Panel and select Programs. Search for JAVA and uninstall it. Open up Google Chrome and visit the official website of JAVA to download the desired version of the software. Install the program and restart your PC.
Minecraft is a game that’s been around since 2011. In the 3D world of Minecraft, players can gather resources, craft items, battle each other, or go exploring. It is a sandbox video game having immense popularity with over 100 million monthly users.
You would expect a game of this level to have fewer errors, right? But the fandom of Minecraft is no stranger to error codes.
The Devs regularly issue updates, but somehow the problems remain. Luckily, you could solve these minor problems by yourself if you followed my guide until the end.