So, you can’t play Minecraft because the game failed to download files in the middle of the installation process?
If Minecraft failed to download the file, you need to re-download the file and replace it with the existing one. However, you can’t expect the download to be completely issue-free. So, go through my step-by-step guide to easily fix the issue.
Why Minecraft java failed to download file?
Minecraft Java edition fails to download files in the middle of the installation process due to an outdated Minecraft launcher. The latest Minecraft version for Windows is Java Edition 1.18.2. Update Minecraft & Java to their latest version and make sure the Windows Firewall allows access to the program.
Other reasons include:
- Incompatible Minecraft Mods: Mods are an additional way to boost your gameplay. Unless the mod you downloaded is faulty, your game will definitely run smoothly.
- Network Restrictions: When you download a launcher for Minecraft, your windows defender firewall will be needing access to the java software. If you forgot to do so, you can go to Windows Security and allow access to the program.
- Corrupted Minecraft Installation: Any sort of power loss or internet connection disruption will lead to a corrupted installation. Don’t forcefully quit the installation progress. You might need to re-install the game.
- Compatibility issues
- PC affected by malware or virus
How to Fix Failed to Download File Error in Minecraft
To fix a file error in Minecraft, Force update the Minecraft Launcher by clicking on the Options next to your Username. Updating Minecraft to the latest release will fix the issue.
I started playing Minecraft with the TLauncher. While installing the launcher, I was given several choices to select the version of the game. The latest release wasn’t working on my computer. So, I downloaded v.1.18.1. As the java version was backdated, I faced the “File contents Differ” error. I closed my launcher and opened it again. This time I forced updated the game to check if I can play the latest version. Luckily, the issue was fixed and I could play the game as I intended.
Here are the methods to fix ‘Failed to Download File, the File contents differ’ in Minecraft:
1. Set Java as the default application for opening .jar extension
If the java or JDK is not set as a default application for opening the jar file extensions, then the downloaded files won’t be constructed correctly and start causing incompatibility issues.
So change the file opening preferences by following the steps below:
- Open the Run Dialog Box by pressing the Windows + R key.
- Type %appdata% to open the folder locations.
- Navigate to .minecraft>assets>indexes and right-click on the jar or java file extension.
- Select Properties and under the General Tab, select Change.
- Choose the Java (™) Platform SE Binary or OpenJDK Platform Binary and Press Apply to save the changes.
Now open the Launcher to check if the problem is resolved.
2. Update Minecraft to the Latest Version
Open the Minecraft Launcher you installed. Example: TLauncher, Vanilla Launcher, ATLauncher, etc. Click on Options next to your username. Select Force Update to instantly update Minecraft to its latest release. Check if the download file issue is resolved or move on to the next step.
3. Uninstall the Corrupted Minecraft Mod
This method is for those users who installed any mod for Minecraft. If your mods are corrupted, the corrupted files will cause an incompatibility issue with the launcher itself. As a result, your launcher won’t be able to download the recommended files. It’s a safe option to uninstall the Minecraft mod.
To delete the mods folder, Press Windows + R key to open the Run Dialog Box and type %appdata%. Select the Minecraft folder. Delete the Mods folder and open the Minecraft Launcher to check if the issue is fixed or not.
4. Use a VPN to Download Files
UK servers are reported to face Minecraft’s regional server glitch. Using a VPN will fix this issue. You can use any free/paid VPNs. Download and install any VPN application for your system and connect to a different region. Open the Minecraft Launcher to check if the issue is resolved or not.
5. Start the Vanilla Launcher
If you applied any mods to a Vanilla Launcher, then this fix is for you. Close the Non-Vanilla Launcher and open the Minecraft Native (Vanilla Launcher) and press the Play Button. As soon as the Create Game Screen Pops up, close the vanilla launcher. Now open the non-vanilla launcher you were using to check if the issue persists or not.
Note: The term Vanilla Launcher is used as the default Minecraft Launcher. Any third-party launchers used other than the default is treated as non-vanilla launcher.
6. Download the File Manually and add it to the Minecraft Directory
As the launcher fails to automatically download and update the files, you can manually download the files.
Save the error message to a text document and close the Minecraft launcher. Copy the URL from the error message. Open google chrome and paste the URL to the address bar. Download the file and copy it.
Open file explorer and navigate to the following path directory:
Delete the file name shown at the end of the error message. Example: 4.5.jar
Paste the Copied file in the designation and open Minecraft Launcher. If you are using a non-vanilla launcher, open the Minecraft Native (Vanilla Launcher) and press the Play Button. As soon as the Create Game Screen Pops up, close the vanilla launcher. Now open the non-vanilla launcher you were using to check if the issue persists or not.
Note: If you are using Twitch with the default launcher, then you need to replace the file from the Documents Directory as well. Navigate to- C:\Users\%username\Documents\Curse\Minecraft\Install\libraries\net\java\dev\jna\
and replace the downloaded file with the existing one.
7. Disable Windows Firewall
If you guessed it correctly, whenever you downloaded java for Minecraft, your PC considered it as a threat and eventually told you to allow access through the Firewall. If you forgot to do it then, you can do it now.
Open the Windows Search Button and Type in Settings. Select Windows Security> Windows Firewall. Turn off the Windows Firewall or grant java access by adding it to the Whitelist.
8. Update Java Application
Uninstall any previously installed version of the java application. Go to the official page of java and download the latest version for your Windows PC. Install the application. Depending on your computer speed, it will take a couple of minutes.
9. Reinstall Minecraft
Last but not the least, if the issue still persists, you need to reinstall the game.
To reinstall Minecraft;
- Open the Run dialog box and type %appdata% and %localappdata% and delete the Minecraft folders from both locations.
- Go to Control Panel>Uninstall a Program and right-click on the Minecraft Launcher to uninstall it.
- Download TLauncher (Non-Vanilla Launcher) if you want to play Minecraft for free or the Minecraft Launcher (Vanilla Launcher) if you want to buy Minecraft or have an account.
- Install the Launcher and Log in with your credentials to enjoy the game.
You can also remove all the Java executables before installing the Launcher because while installing, the launcher itself will detect Java and suggest you download the latest version.
Playing Minecraft with friends is awesome. But it gets troublesome when you start to face errors. The non-downloadable file problem is a minor error that can be fixed in under a minute if you followed my step-by-step guide.
Do mention in the comments section which of the mentioned methods helped you the most.